NOTICE OF COLLECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION
Personal Information submitted to the University by a student, employee, alumnus, donor or other individual is collected under the authority of the University of Ottawa Act, 1965, and is intended to be used for the purposes of and those consistent with the administration of University programs and activities and in order to carry out other University services and functions, including without limitation the following:
- recruitment, admission and registration, academic programs and evaluations, and graduation;
- evaluation of academic and non-academic programs;
- assistance to student associations, retiree associations and the University’s Alumni Association;
- financial assistance, awards and payment of fees;
- alumni and development activities;
- institutional planning and statistics;
- centralization or sharing of service delivery among academic units, administrative services and programs;
- reporting to government agencies, funding agencies and professional licensing bodies;
- fulfillment of requirements related to federated institutions, including Saint Paul University;
- employment related matters;
- safety and security;
- detection, monitoring and prevention of non-compliance with policies, regulations and procedures; and
- promotion in print, electronic and internet publications.
The University may collect the minimum amount of Personal Information about a student, employee, alumnus, donor or other individual that is publicly available on the Internet, in social media or in any other medium and that is necessary for its needs and for the proper administration or discharge of its functions or lawful activities, including without limitation:
- planning, review or delivery of programs or services;
- research and statistical activities; and
- compliance with policies, procedures and regulations.
The University is required to disclose Personal Information such as Ontario Education Numbers, student characteristics and educational outcomes to the Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development pursuant to s. 15 of the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter M. 19, as amended. The Ministry collects this information for purposes such as planning, allocating and administering public funding to colleges, universities and other post-secondary educational and training institutions, as well as research and analysis (including longitudinal studies) and statistical activities conducted by or on behalf of the Ministry in relation to post-secondary education and training. Further information on how the Minister of Advanced Education and Skills Development uses this Personal Information is available on the Ministry’s website.
Questions by an individual regarding the collection and use of their own Personal Information in a particular instance should be addressed to the University faculty, administrative office or service responsible for such collection and use. Questions of a general nature regarding the collection, use and disclosure of information should be addressed to the University’s Director, Compliance, Access to Information and Privacy, by email at email@example.com, by telephone at 613-562-5800 or by mail at University of Ottawa, Access to Information and Privacy Office, 550 Cumberland Street, Ottawa, ON, KIN 6N5.
For more ample information concerning access to information and protection of privacy, please refer to Policy 90.